Automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) is a technology that uses optical character recognition on images to read vehicle registration plates.
- ANPR is used by municipalities to keep track of incoming and outgoing traffic.
- Environmental zones need categorization of traffic.
- Around airports, the traffic is monitored to detect patterns as an anti-terrorism measure.
- Since a number plate is unique, it can be used for signaling suspect cars, (blacklist matching) or regulating access to a private area (whitelist matching).
- A false number plate can in most cases be detected by car classification.
- Suspicious patterns in visiting highway parking can be related to criminal activities